Amy L. Stikovich
When I was 13 years old, I decided that I wanted to be a lawyer when I “grew up.” I think it was because I was an avid reader and this particular profession seemed like a good way to read for a living. Fast forward just a few years, and I find myself as the co-owner of a female-owned law firm committed to providing a broad scope of excellent legal service to Northern Michigan.
In 1992 graduated from Cedarville University in Cedarville, Ohio with a degree in English/Professional Writing. I attended The John Marshall Law School (Chicago, Illinois) and obtained my JD in January of 1996. I never thought of myself as a litigator until I placed second in the school’s intramural Moot Court competition. I participated in several Moot Court competitions and enjoyed the challenge of thinking on my feet to argue my position. After graduation, I worked for several law firms in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, where I gained experience in the areas of employment law, insurance defense, contested guardianship and probate, and other litigation matters. I tried several cases to jury verdict and served as an arbitrator for the Cook County Mandatory Arbitration system. I successfully defended clients before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Illinois Department of Human Rights, the Illinois Department of Employment Security, and the Illinois Department of Labor.
In the fall of 2006, I opened my own firm – Stikovich Legal Counsel. I continued to work with small to midsize businesses to implement solid HR practices. I develop long-lasting relationships with my clients, and I have had many of the same business clients for over 15 years. About four years ago I relocated my practice from the Chicago suburbs to Northern Michigan. I have enjoyed developing new business relationships and providing legal services to members of the community. When I am not working, I enjoy spending time with my husband (a local realtor) and our two teenage girls.
- Volunteer Mediator with Northern Community Mediation
- 2018 Recipient of Veteran Mediator of the Year for Northern Community Mediation
- Member of the District Committee for Character and Fitness for the Michigan State Bar
- Standing Committee Member for the Michigan Bar Journal
- Member of the Real Property, Probate & Estate Planning, Religious Liberty and Litigation Sections of the Michigan Bar
- Member of the Emmet/Charlevoix Bar Association
- Member of the Women Lawyer Association of Michigan
- Member of Illinois State Bar Association
- Vice President, School Board of Concord Academy of Petoskey
- Volunteer with The Genesis Church of Petoskey Care Team
Areas of Concentration & Licenses
Areas of Concentration
- Employment Law
- Real Estate Law
- Contested Estate Administration/Guardianship
- Business Law
- Church Law
- General Litigation
- Family Law
- State of Illinois (May 1996)
- State of Michigan (April 2017)
- United States District Court – Northern District of Illinois (including Trial Bar) (June 1996)
- United States District Court – Western District of Michigan (March 2019)
Why Choose Us
Dedicated & Understanding
At Nelson Forster & Stikovich, PC, we are dedicated to understanding what results you want and to helping you understand what actions we can take on your behalf. We will work with you every step of the way to make sure that you understand the choices you are making and feel empowered to make them.
Law You Can Understand
We know that the law can sometimes be overwhelming. We are dedicated to providing you help in language that you can understand. If you don’t feel like you understand your options, just ask, and we will work to find an explanation that works for you.
We Focus On Results
The first step is for us to work with you to create a plan that puts you in the best position to obtain your desired result. While we cannot guarantee results, through our understanding of the law and your understanding of the circumstances, we will craft a path to success.